Wednesday, September 1, 2010

My Time in Iraq: Part 6

Vector Control:

One of my many jobs was vector control. Yes, pest extermination. My team (me and SGT Davis) were called over the walkie talkies (that we purchased) to come quickly to the med tents. After our scat inspection, we surmised that the tent had rodents. We set up our various traps and waited.
A short time later, we got the call. Our live trap caught a rat. Our orders mandated that all vectors be humanely destroyed. Usually, this meant one 5.56mm round to the head. We headed over in our Gator ATV, ready to do our duty.
The rat wasn't just a rat. Inside the cold metal wires a big eyed, round eared Kangaroo Rat looked up at us lovingly. "Awwww", I said with disregard for what my duty required. "He's so cute!". SGT. Davis looked at the other NCO and stated firmly, "We will take care of it. Don't worry". We left the hospital with our little gift and set off to complete our mission. At the edge of the camp, away from onlookers,SGT Davis looked at me and asked, "Are you ready?" I nodded and then gently opened the cage door.
We both waved and cooed goodbyes as our furry little guy scurried across the desert sands.

No comments:

Post a Comment