Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Old Blog: Asleep now Grizzabella

She found us a few years ago. Kelly and I were dropping off food, after hours, at the animal shelter.  Neither of us can go in and see all the animals in cages because we'd take them all home- so, we dropped off the food and came back to the car...and she entered our life.  She meowed and rubbed all over our legs- she was sooo sweet and had been abandoned outside of the animal shelter.  Kelly looked at me and just said, "Put her in the car".
Grizzy is what she was named. Grizzy was wonderful.  She loved everyone. She would even let Peyton, the little girl across the street, come over and carry her around like a teddy bear...she would follow you up the street when you go for walks, she'd lay on her back and let you rub her tummy...she was beautiful.

This past Sunday, 2 mysterious dogs showed up in our yard.  Kelly and I rounded them up and I put them in the garage.  We put out fliers and alerts everywhere.  We had their chips scanned- all a dead end.  They are HUGE, white Akita/Husky mix.
Last night, it was supposed to be freezing.  I put my dogs in the office and opened the back door to let the 2 dogs in and led them to the garage.  Grizzy had been near the door of the garage.  The male saw her.  The garage door was cracked just enough for a cat to come inside if it were cold.  The dog managed to squirm under the door.  The female followed.  I ran out into the cold after them.  I was wearing my scrub pants, undershirt and socks.  I ran across the street and into the wooded area.  I heard my Grizzy screaming.  The 2 dogs were attacking her.  I jumped in the middle and grabbed her from them.  She was limp in my hands and I raised her above my head.  The dogs jumped at me and tugged at her fur.  They clawed my arms and pushed me to the ground.  I screamed and cried for help. Help never came.  The dogs swarmed me on the ground and pulled my beautiful Grizzabella from my grasp.

Grizzy is dead.
I went to my house and got my 9mm.
The male dog is dead.
I called the cops and waited for them to come out. Chrissy and Laura came over and shoveled frozen earth for Grizzy's burial...now sleep Grizzy, sleep.  I will never forget you. You were a wonderful cat.

No comments:

Post a Comment